Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reader's Response of The Pearl

The Pearl Reader’s Response

If this story is a parable, I have my own meaning of it. And as I read this story, I could read my life through it. A great fortune such as The Pearl of The World has not yet come to me but if I did encounter such as a fortune I could follow either one of the two paths that were given. There was Kino’s choice and there was Juana’s choice. In this parable I drove my life through those two characters’ circumstances. When I came to the point of decision of which path I should take, I reviewed the moral of the parable for some extra discernment.
The mood and tone of the story helped me to realize a lot of what kind of feeling the author wanted to give me to figure out what the moral of this story was. With the different tones and moods that I felt while reading this book I could understand the characters’ feelings more deeply. When Kino was telling Juana about their plan of escape I could sense in his tone that he was caring more about the pearl than his family, and the mood was full of suspense. The tone of Juana’s reply was sorrowful and worried. Through this observation I can make clear distinction between the two options of facing the challenge of having great wealth. That is how mood and tone can also reveal the morals of stories’.
When Kino and Juana found the pearl, their minds were filled with the wonderful things they could do with that new wealth. They both went out in pursuit of those happiness’s the wealth can buy. And piece by piece Kino and Juana’s lives were getting ruined. Here their roads split. Kino was an ambitious man and would risk his life in search of happiness. Juana was cautious and decided that the pursuit of such happiness could actually ruin their lives. Kino let the happiness drive his life, but Juana discovered that at the end they would lose their own lives while clinging on to a now useless pearl that they thought would make their lives better. To me, the moral of this story is to take control of your life, and not get other things such as wealth to take control of it.
One day if I obtained great wealth, enough to fulfill all the wishes I wanted, but through that wealth my life started to fall apart, I would remember this book. What is driving my life? Is it my wealth? Then I will push it aside and grab the reins of my own life.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you the most part Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a really perceptive reflection on this story, particularly on the characters. I like the way that you went ahead of the requirements and thought about the personalities and characteristics of the people in the stories, directly relating mood and tone to the moral of the story. You obviously thought about the moral of the story in much depth, and came to a conclusion that makes a lot of sense. I really liked the way that you lived the story out, and compared decisions that the characters made to the decisions you may make in your own life. Thanks for writing this~ I enjoyed reading it! =]]

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this meaningful response

    ReplyDelete